Its that time again...Back-To-School! The 2017 school year is upon us and all the crayons, pens, pencils, and notebooks are waiting to be used. Let’s not forget one of the most important items to buy along with supplies-- SHOES!
Here are some tips to help you with shoe shopping:
- Do not assume that your child’s foot size is the same! Their feet are still growing so make sure you get them fitted before purchasing any pair of shoes.
- Does your child attend a parochial or specialized school? Make sure you check with their school to ensure that you are meeting the school’s shoe gear requirement(s). This will ensure that your shopping trip does not go to waste plus it saves you time.
- Since children’s feet are often sweaty, see if you can find shoe gear that incorporate anti-microbial materials or linings that wick away moisture. We offer custom orthotics with such materials! Feel free to ask us about them.
- Living in New York, our winters can be harsh and filled with snow. Consider purchasing a pair of waterproof boots; this may perform double duty during the Spring when rain showers are prevalent.
- Do not buy larger shoes thinking your child will “grow into them”. This can be very uncomfortable and may lead to problems!
- To go with the new shoes, don’t forget good socks! A good pair of socks can ensure all day protection and comfort.
- Most importantly; if your child has custom orthotics, check for any signs of wear and tear OR signs that they may be outgrowing them. We are more than happy to examine them for you!