New parents may notice their children are born with flat feet. This is a result of supporting muscles and ligaments that have not fully formed. The arch typically develops as the teenage years approach, and it is generally nothing to be concerned about. Additionally, it is common for children to walk with their toes in or out, and in most cases, will be outgrown, but this condition should be checked by one of our expert podiatrists at Advanced Podiatry. If children frequently participate in sporting activities, you may see blisters on their feet. This can come from wearing shoes and socks that do not fit properly. Children can be susceptible to bunions, especially if it is genetic. A large bump on the side of the big toe may form, and it may cause the second toe to overlap with the one next to it. If you notice anything unusual about your children’s feet, it is advised to consult with one of our expert podiatrists at Advanced Podiatry who can determine what the best course of treatment is.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our expert podiatrists at Advanced Podiatry. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our offices located in Manhasset, Huntington, Plainview, and Maspeth.
We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs