A few months ago, a patient suggested I host a shoe drive this holiday season. I found Soles4Souls, Inc. – a Tennessee-based organization which was founded in 2006 – whose goal is to wear out poverty by collecting new and used shoes and clothes from individuals, schools, faith-based institutions and businesses.Soles4Souls distributes shoes and clothing across the United States and overseas and creates self-sustaining jobs to generate revenue in impoverished communities.
Soles4Souls provides shoes for individuals displaced by wild fires, floods and tornados and also provides shoes to homeless men and women and victims of domestic abuse. Shoes not only protect our feet from the weather and terrain but they also can give us confidence while completing an outfit for the workplace, school yard or athletic field.
Associated Podiatrists will be hosting a Soles4Souls shoe drive for the rest of the year. Additionally, we've teamed up with a number of local businesses who will be hosting collection bins in both Huntington and Roslyn. Drop off locations will be available until New Year's Eve. If you are cleaning out your closet and have shoes that you would like to donate or recycle, please find a collection bin nearest you.
- What: Soles4Souls Shoe Drive
- Why: Associated Podiatrists wanted to join our local community in providing shoe gear an essential for not only safety but good foot hygiene and health to individuals domestically.
- When: November 17th - December 31st
- Where: See Participating Drop-off locations below
- How To Donate: New, used and well worn/loved shoes, rubberbanded together,can be dropped off at the following locations. Collection bins can be found in each location.