With the most recent heat wave most of our patients are spending their free time at the beach barefoot (understandably) however this brings many new pedal complaints into our office. Please use the following as a guide on how to protect your feet and toes from summer troubles.
1. SUNBURN - most people will think about putting sunscreen on their faces, arms and even legs; however the feet including top, bottom and in between the toes often gets forgotten. This is important for not only when you are sunbathing at the beach (think laying with feet up) but also when you are sporting your flip flops and sitting at your child's lacrosse or baseball games.
2. Wearing shoe gear when walking on HOT SAND - a must - blisters and superficial burns are common.
3. Wearing water shoes in the ocean when you cannot see the bottom to protect your feet from SEA SHELLS and other sharp objects that could cause a cut or scrape potentially causing an infection.
4. Watch out for FOREIGN BODIES along your local shore line or beach - although they may be cleaned daily - we often find pieces of wood or glass in people's feet after a weekend at the beach.
5. Wearing appropriate slip resistant shoe gear while boarding and exiting one's BOAT - wet feet on wet surfaces make sprains, strains and even fractures are an unfortunate possibility.
If you or a loved one find yourself in one of these predicaments please call our office today; we pride ourselves on same day appointments and always taking the best care of our patients.